| Comments (0)
After a week-long program of Board meetings, leadership training, workshops and conference sessions, BDPA's 35th
Annual Technology Conference officially closed August 17th
in Washington, DC. Information Technology professionals from varying industries and locations came together to learn, share ideas and build strategic networks.
With just over 500 attendees, BDPA's 2013 Technology Conference, Diversity in the Age of Convergence, provided a relaxed and open setting, allowing attendees to connect on a personal level and openly share professional experiences and challenges, Aside from the educational aspects of the conference, a little fun was to be had as well. Corporate partner MillerCoors provided an array of MillerCoors products at all receptions as well as the movie preview, Kards and Karaoke, spoken word with the Twin Poets, and a late night concert with Avery Sunshine.
On Tuesday night, Washington DC Chapter President, Perry Carter kicked things off by moderating the 2013 Advance Program Briefing to Industry (APBI) Topic of Discussion: Diverse Opportunities and Next Steps for HBCUs in the Age of Convergence. The panel addressed how colleges are proactively developing programs that attract minority students to S.T.E.M fields. Panelist also shared public, private, and academia partnership success stories. Panelist included, Dr. Rajni Goel, Associate. Professor and Computer Science Chair, Howard University; Dr. Daryl Stone, Professor Computer Science, Bowie State University; Michael Bing, Director, Washington DC Minority Business Center; H. Harrison Valentine, President and CEO, HBCU/MI Project Office; and Anthony Waterman, President & CEO, Waterman Engineering.
Roland Martin, the keynote at Wednesday night's opening ceremony, resonated with the entire audience. He said we are competing for our young people's attention with athletes and entertainers. He called BDPA members Superstars and Ballers and to capture the interest of our youth we need to show our Bling. He said that IT professionals are driving luxury cars like BMW's and Mercedes and we should be telling our youth that they can have these things to if complete their education and pursue careers in STEM.
On Thursday night, NCWIT sponsored a reception on Thursday, where Ruthe Farmer, Director of Strategic Initiatives at National Center for Woman in Technology spoke to guest about NCWIT and their Aspirations in Computing award opportunities. JP Morgan Chase also hosted an invitation only reception where they highlighted technology and opportunities at Chase.
The Friday night Dignitaries Reception featured a CIO panel moderated by Dr. Julianne Malvauex. Panelist included Michael Braine, SVP, CIO Luxottica Retail & Optical Services; James D. Cook, CIO, Global Operations & Services, General Motors Company; Terry Halvorson, CIO, United States Navy; Garth Marcial, Worldwide VP, IT and CIO at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics and Advanced Sterilization Products; and Addison McGuffin, Vice President, Business Technology Innovation, Health Care Service Corporation.Daily Keynote Speakers
- Sherrie Littlejohn, Executive Vice President, Wells Fargo, kicked off Wednesday workshops by shedding light on The Future of Technology: Making IT Real during the morning general session.
- Barbara Wanthal, Assistant Vice President of System, State Farm Insurance, informed conference goers about Diverse Opportunities in IT during the State Farm sponsored plenary luncheon.
- Fumbi Chima, Vice President of International Integrations, Wal-mart Corporation, bought attendees up to speed on Big Data in Retail at Thursday's morning general session.
- A. J. Lang, CIO, WellPoint, captivated the audience during Thursday's WellPoint sponsored plenary luncheon, with his presentation Private Cloud and the Use of Social Media in Today's Online Work Environment.
- Tim McCabe, Senior VP and CIO, Delphi Automotive, enlightened ITSMF and BDPA attendees with his presentation Innovation Intersection: Enabling IT Value at an Economic Crossroads at the Friday morning general session.
- Mark Miller, Chief Technology Officer, Lockheed Martin, shared information security concerns in his presentation Star Wars Revisited: Cyber Security Strategies in the Age of Digital Warfare during the second Friday general session.
Samsung Galaxy Raffle
- · Teresa Williams, Atlanta, GA
- · Robert Gavin, Rochester, NY
Lifetime Achievement Awardees
- Earl Pace Jr., BDPA Founder
- Dr. Freeman Hrabowski, President, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
IT Showcase Winners
- 1st Jazzmine Bess , Florida A&M University, Indianapolis Chapter
- 2nd Jessica Boardley, University of Delaware, Delaware Chapter
- 3rd Bryan Bemley , Bowie State University, DC Chapter
- 1st Jared Sherrod, Delaware Academy of Public Safety and Security, Delaware Chapter
- 2nd Ian Crowder, Oak Park River Forest High School, Chicago Chapter
- 3rd Brandi Taylor, Irmo High School, Greater Columbia Chapter
HSCC Competition Winners
- 1st Southern Minnesota
- 2nd Los Angeles
- 3rd Atlanta
- 4th Washington DC
- 5th Cincinnati
- Chapter of the Year: Chicago
- Chapter Community Service Award: Philadelphia
- Chapter Management Award: New York
- Chapter Membership Award: Chicago
- Chapter Professional Service Award: Detroit
What Attendees Had to Say
- "IT is really impacted and enriched by so many other fields and the conference really demonstrated that with the diversity of the presenters.” - John
- "I am new to my position and needed to become familiar with Agile terminology and techniques and how they are being used in other industries. The conference exceeded my expectations. This was by far the friendliest and hospitable conference I have attended.” - Dan
- "This was a good conference! Adding the ScrumMaster certification class helped to establish acquaintances and build the foundation for much of the networking that took place during the week. One of the best conferences I've ever attended.” - Denise
- "I really enjoyed the keynote speaker presentations and most importantly the networking that happens at this event. BDPA keeps setting the bar higher every year. Job well done!” - Evelyn
- "This is hands-down the best conference I've ever attended. The keynote speakers were excellent; the other participants were friendly and chatty during breaks; the conference was well-organized and presentations were engaging, thoughtful, and relevant.” - Michael
- "I have been to other conferences before, and NEVER have I been embraced like family!” - Gail
- "Overall this was a great conference –fantastic work from the BDPA team. You guys are great, and I hope to see you all again in Indy!” - Andrea
- "This was a good conference for learning and networking.” – Jean
Twitter Comments from the Conference
- Sherrie Littlejohn (@WellsFargo) - http://buff.ly/14bXTbV - is lightin' 'em up at the @BDPA_Conference this morning! #BDPA
- @GaryNaranjo (PNC Bank) checked in at @BDPA_Conference. He wants to hire some folks this week! http://buff.ly/13UKdFN - #BDPA
- Congrats @bdpanewjersey HSCC student, Conroy McDonald, 4 winning @JNJCares scholarship at @BDPA_Conference! #BDPA13 pic.twitter.com/IvPDXE7ccd
- Feeling charged up after another PHENOMENAL @BDPA_Conference! See you next year in Indy!!!
- Oracle just gave a total of $30k in scholarships to five BDPA students at the National BDPA Awards Gala. #BDPA13
- Our own Stacy Stewart, Chapter Pres, a recipient of Epsilon BDPA Community Svc Award. #bdpa13 pic.twitter.com/ScXhY5z9Nw
- Mind has been completely filled! Having a very positive experience at the National BDPA Conference #BDPA
- @GEICO is still taking resumes today!! Stop by for these cool prizes. #BDPA13 pic.twitter.com/O6wmec5TLv
- Spoken word by Twin Poets was an powerful experience. #BDPA13 pic.twitter.com/es6VFoJbkr
- Took a short tour of the @HP Data Center Pod. Very innovative idea. Our students asked tons of questions. #bdpa13
- Qualcomm IT is hiring! http://Qualcomm.com/careers . #BDPA13
- My speech to the @BDPA_Conference focused on us treating folks in #STEM as all-stars, the same way we treat star athletes.
- Listening to @rolandsmartin give a REAL keynote about branding STEM with real impact. @BDPA_Conference #BDPA13 #DC
- DC is the place to be! The Nat'l @BDPA_Conference officially kicks off tonight w/ @rolandsmartin speaking at the opening ceremony #BDPA13